Friday, October 31, 2008

community. london. pictures.

There are a few things that I have been thinking about lately, the main thing being community.  A huge part of this program is the community aspect.  I really like the idea of community living and part of the reason I loved camp was the community aspect of it, especially when we became like family during staff meetings and on the weekends.  One thing that I did not expect was to feel like my independence was being squelched here.  Over the past four years I had gotten used to eating whatever I wanted to make, when I wanted to, and buying the food I liked.  Although my roommates and I did things together and always tacked up our class and work schedules, we were all pretty independent and did our own thing and were always in and out due to class, work, being social and other festivities we were all involved with on campus.  So.  Being in Bradford has been a huge switch for me because we are all doing somewhat the same thing.  We talk with each other about what we are going to do when (for the most part).  I’m in the process of learning how to operate more within a community, especially through our differences and what community really means to me. 

In other news: This week school has been out for fall break.  Saturday-Wednesday we went with the youth group we are working with to London.  I had fun, and it was good to finally be able to bond with them.  It’s hard to get to know them at youth group because they are all running around different places…and I have learned from previous experience that asking, “so, what’s your life story” is a very awkward way to start a conversation with someone you do not know…because I have tried it, and it does not work well.  We got to see most of the sights, but there is still so much left to see!  And shopping to do!  Anyways, Rachel and I have started to plan other things to do with the girls of the youth group in November, which they seem up for.

And now for some pictures.


This is our first night in London, where we ate at the church, where they were having a fundraiser dinner of traditional Goan food.  Question, where is Goa?!



I couldn't go to Madame Tussauds without getting a picture with Henry VIII.  "I'm Henry the Eighth, I am, I am..."

The Tower Bridge at night.  It was nice.  

and finally me, at Buckingham Palace.  
We didn't see the Queen, but she was there, since the flag was up.  





6 comments:

Danae Jones Photography said...

Thanks for getting Henry the Eighth stuck in my head.
"
I got married to the woman next door, she'd been married seven timmmmes before and every one was a Henry. Never a Willy or a Sam..."

ahhhhh

Bethany Miller said...

LOVE the pictures!

Thea said...

Community sounds so wonderful and ideal and all when you talk about it theoretically, but in practice, it´s something else entirely, isn´t it? So far I am still convinced that it is worth the effort. However, it does take effort indeed, to make all the small and ongoing sacrifices you mention and to adjust to other people´s patterns. Giving up that intense desire we humans automatically seem to have to do things our own way is HARD!!!!!! Blessings to you as you work out what community means for you this year. I would love to be privy to any future ranting and-or profound insights.

Krista said...

I think there must be a story behind Henry the Eighth?

Unknown said...

i visited madame tussaud's while in vegas. and touched bruce springsteen's thigh! well, not his actual thigh, the wax figure's. anyway, do you have an address in blustery bradford where i can reach you? i would like to write. or could i send it to your parents and they could forward it? whatever works best for you. i miss you!

Lyz said...

thanks for your reflections, expecially on community...and the shots of your London trip!