Friday, September 26, 2008

busy as a bee.

The past week or so has been filled with all types of quizzes of who you are.  We've taken the Meyer-Briggs personality test, found out our love language, our spiritual type, how we resolve conflict, and a cultural questionnaire.  I love taking these things.  I found out that I am a ISFP personality, which I pretty much agree with.  In short ISFPers are:  
ISFPs are gentle and compassionate, open and flexible.  They are considerate of others and do not force their views and opinions on them.  They often focus on meeting others’ needs, especially those who are less fortunate.  Having a quiet, modest, self-effacing style, ISFP avoid disagreements and seek harmony with people as well as with nature.  They enjoy life’s precious moments and often add a touch of beauty to the environments where they spend their time.  They are at their best ensuring others’ well being.  

The part I love about this definition is that they seek harmony with both people and nature, (yeah nature!), enjoy life's precious moments (which I'm always trying to capture on camera) and add a touch of beauty to the environments where they spend their time probably why I always am wanting to redecorate and put up pictures).  

How I recieve love is through quality time...so I guess all those coffee dates at Chapters was my way of getting loved.  :)  It hasn't even been a month, and I'm already going through Pumpkin Pie Chai withdrawls.  

We have also been practicing various spiritual disciplines.  This week we did service and solitude.  For the service aspect, I went to a community garden with 5 other people.  I actually really enjoyed myself there, which is surprising to me, because I always dreaded having to do things in the garden at home.  For our solitude discipline, we spent one evening until breakfast in complete silence.  No talking, or use of electronics, etc.  It was pretty nice and relaxing; refreshing.  

[Now that I'm actually typing all of this out, I realize that it has been a much busier week than I thought...]

This week we also had to think up the 10 verses/passages that are the most meaningful to us.  So here are a few that I picked (so I guess Dad, this is for you, since you are always wondering what my life verse(s) are...)

Micah 6.8 “O people, the Lord has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.”
Pretty much I think that this verse tells us how to live.  I once wrote a paper on how this applies to my professional aspirations, but it is so much more than that as well.  I am continually coming back to this verse and learning what it means to do justice, love mercy and walk humbly with God.  I do think that it will always look different for everyone as well, but it is a process of seeking and wanting to grow and change.

Psalm 19.1-4 “The heavens proclaim the glory of God.  The skies display his craftsmanship.  Day after day they continue to speak; night after night they make him known.  They speak without a sound or word; their voice is never heard.  Yet their message has gone throughout the earth, and their words to all the world.”

One of the reasons that I picked this verse is because it is in nature, in Creation is where I find God the most and where I connect with God the most.

Matthew 23.36-39 "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' "

Jesus tells us that these are the two things that we need to live by, and they both are love- loving God and loving others.  So I'll take it at that and live out those commandments the best I know how to.

In other news.  Yesterday I ran (okay, slowly jogged) in a 5k.  what?!  Actually, our whole house did it, so it was a nice bonding experience.  I'll try to post some pictures in a few days, and I'm working on updating my flickr account so you can see more...

And I leave in a week.  That is just mind boggling.  

2 comments:

Krista said...

Good summary of the weeks!

that'swhatsheasaid said...

Wow! What a cool and great experience! I'm excited for you to get to England and everything! The fall here is nice, it was warm my first week or so and then fall hit and it has cooled down a lot in the night. It's been raining so that's not normal, but hey for me it's great! But the best part is the colors! Oh my goodness the colors of fall are gorgeous! Nature has a such a beautiful color pallate! Good luck hope you enjoy everything that God is going to teach you this year!