I never thought that I would be one to bemoan about getting older, but here I am, bellyaching about being 23. 23 sounds like a ghastly age to me; it is so much more "grown-up" than 22. But enough about that. [um, PS: it's my birthday today, and evidently a birthday to remember!]
The other ordeal about 23 is about Flat 23. [remember, rachel and I live in both #19 and #23, living room and kitchen are in #19, bedrooms and laundry are in #19]. So Rachel and I were gone for a week, seeking out the sun that doesn't seem to come out very often here in Bradford. While we are away, we find out that there has been a burglary in flat 23. So, now we are back and dealing with that...except that we can't get into #23 because there is a board up, to keep whatever is left in, and we won't be able to access the damage until tomorrow when the council can come out with a tool box. Thankfully, most of my "valuables" were with us since we were on holiday.
This year has brought about so many things that I did not expect. [Last year, the MVS unit also had a burglary. For some reason, I didn't think that it would happen to us...that burglary's on Walker Ave. were like leap year or something: they happen, but not in consecutive years! I know. I'm a little naive about these things.] Rachel and I are fine, and feel okay with staying in the area. The burglary is just something to deal with. In my thinking about how different and harder this year has turned out to be than when I hopped on a plane to Chicago, I was thinking about the verse:
"There's more to come: We continue to shout our praise even when we're hemmed in with troubles, because we know how troubles can develop passionate patience in us, and how that patience in turn forges the tempered steel of virtue, keeping us alert for whatever God will do next." [The Message, Romans 5.3-4]And so: burglaries are not fun and a little exhausting, but hopefully I'll get passionate patience and a tempered steel of virtue in the process.
I'll post a few pictures later of R and I's holiday in Tenerife...that is, if my camera cord hasn't been pinched...

3 comments:
Happy Birthday Kristen! Even if you'd rather not hear it. I hope it was a good one and I love reading your updates on your blog. Talk to ya later my dear.
Happy birthday to you...happy birthday to you.....hmmmhmmmhmmm....ok, be glad your not getting the voice with the tune :) but Happy birthday, Kristen! Much for us all to learn about your attitude of challenge forging patience, thanks for sharing that!
Feliz cumpliaƱos, Kristen! Glad to see they can't steal your optomism. (Wow, am I always that cheesy?)
Post a Comment